Fukuoka City and Kyushu University
Fukuoka city is around 900 km west from Tokyo, the largest city in Kyushu Island, having around 1.5 million population. Fukuoka is easily accessible with planes and bullet trains (Shinkansen). On the north shore of Japan, Fukuoka is famous for good view of islands and fresh seafood. The climate of Fukuoka in March is rather mild, temperature between 5-15C, with some chance of rain.
The new ITO campus of Kyushu University is located around 10 km west from the center of Fukuoka city. Since most of hotels are located at the city center (only very few exist in the west region), you probably have to take a bus or/and a subway to get to the venue.
Getting to Fukuoka by plane
Most of international participants are expected to get to Fukuoka by plane. Fukuoka airport is very near the Fukuoka city center and thus very convenient. There are frequent flights (more than every 30 minutes, 2nd busiest route in Japan) from Tokyo/Haneda, and at least a few flights per day from major airports in Japan (Tokyo/Narita, Osaka, Nagoya, etc.). There are also international flights from most of Asian hub airports (Seoul, Beijing, Shanghai, Bangkok, Singapore, etc.).
Access to the city center from the airport is simple; you can just take a subway from the airport. Every train goes to Hakata (2nd stop, 260 yen) and Tenjin (5th stop, 260 yen) and it only takes 5-10 minutes. Some trains go directly to the nearest station to Kyushu University, if you want to come to the venue directly. See below.
Getting to Fukuoka by Shinkansen
Some train freaks may like to come by the bullet train. The Hakata station is directly connected to Tokyo by Shinkansen, but it takes around five hours, and rather expensive. It's more convenient to go to western cities such as Kyoto, Osaka and Hiroshima. From Hakata station, you can take subway or bus to go to Kyushu University, as written below.
Access to the meeting place
The meeting will take place at INAMORI Hall in ITO Campus, Kyushu University.
- Access to ITO campus is given here.
- ITO Campus area map: Bldg #43 is INAMORI Center, where INAMORI Hall is located. The closest bus stop is "Kyudai Rigakubu mae", that means "In front of Faculty of Science, Kyushu University".
- The Fukuoka City Subway
- The Nishitetsu Bus
- The Showa bus seems to have no English webpage (Japanese webpage). Buses between "Kyudaigakkenntoshi" and "Kyudaikougakubumae" frequently, every 5-10 minites depending on time.
- Time table written in the Roman alphabet
- short version
- KYUDAIGAKKENTOSHI-->KYUDAIRIGAKUBUMAE (Full ver.)
- KYUDAI BIG ORANGE MAE-->KYUDAIGAKKENTOSHI(Full ver.)
- A few suggestions for the connection between train and bus at KYUDAIGAKKENTOSHI.
- HyperDia (online timetable of the railway)
For those who stay near Hakata station.
You may use either of the two routes:
- The Fukuoka City Subway and the Showa Bus: See here.
- The Nishitetsu Express Bus: Take a bus bounded for "Kyudaisougouguraundo", and get off at "Kyudai Rigakubu-mae". Bus stop (Hakata Ekimae A) Timetable
For those who stay in Tenjin area:
It is recomended to use the Fukuoka City Subway and the Showa Bus. The Nishitetsu Express Bus, that starts at Hakata Ekimae-A (see above), may be already crowded at Tenjin bus stops. See here.
There are many reasonable hotels near Hakata Station and in Tenjin Area. We ask you to book your rooms by yourselves. A short list of recommended hotels is shown below.
Recommended hotels on a google map
Hotels near Hakata Station: booking.com
- Comfort Hotel Hakata
- Toyoko Inn Hakataguchi Ekimae
- Nichitetsu Inn Hakata
- Blossom Hakata Chuo
- Hotel Nikko Fukuoka
- Hotel Centraza Hakata
- Hakata Miyako Hotel
- Hotel Clio Court Hakata
Hotels in Tenjin area: booking.com